Friday, September 23, 2011

Heaven A Fairy Story?

Friday musings on "religious comforts" And our connection with God~
A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death says Stephen Hawking, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21. In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts. Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.
(Lol) I'm sure he does view eternity like some fairy story.. but what do you think of 
the line about- "his firm rejection of religious comforts?"
I consider myself more spiritually oriented than religious..but used to regard the reality of pain for instance, or discomfort something to be avoided (like you couldn't glean anything from it). Ironically limitation (surely Hawking must feel that way), and set backs seem to now challenge me to move on to another level in my walk with God. I can't say I relish it or find it all that easy, but I don't fear death anymore.
You certainly don't have to answer all my questions..but I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts- if you feel like it-
"Every person has his own ideas of the act of praying for God’s guidance, tolerance, and mercy to fulfill his duties and responsibilities. My own concept of prayer is not as a plea for special favors nor as a quick palliation for wrongs knowingly committed. A prayer, it seems to me, implies a promise as well as a request; at the highest level, prayer not only is a supplication for strength and guidance, but also becomes an affirmation of life and thus a reverent praise of God."
***
"But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. “O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Co 15:54-57

13 comments:

Anzu said...

Hi Regina!
I imagine that there is not the thickness of a sixpence between the genius scientist and an innocent cat.
It's their gifted nature. I hope that we were probably born to do something like a cat.(LOL)
Have a nice weekend. (o^∇^o)ノ

MadSnapper said...

the answer to all your questions for me, is that last verse, i could just copy and paste it here. and i do not believe Heaven is a fairy story but a place where God is waiting for me in a place of no fear or pain or tears. I don't want to die but i don't fear it either

Joyful said...

I agree that physical limitations and illness cause me to challenge my thinking in my spiritual walk, mostly in a good way. I do not say I'm afraid to die because I do beleive in a Heaven, but I do fear the process of dying. I don't like suffering or seeing it. I will be happy if I can put on an incorruptible body and I'm sure there will be others who are even happier but then I don't think they'll remember what they had to endure here.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, Stephen Hawking seems too smart for his own good, and I mean that literally. I love your stunning header, it truly befits today's post. Did you get your kitty a blush compact?? Ha ha!! How are you doing? Drop me a line sometime and let me know what's going on, I miss your more regular posts and am not getting enough of your beautiful, almost spiritual poetry.I hope you are keeping them all somewhere on paper!!

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Hello! How are You?!

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Thank You very much for Your beautiful comments!

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

For me all these are interesting...Beautiful header!

rainfield61 said...

There are phenomena that science fails to explain, we cannot deny their existence simply because lacking of evidence.

I am reading "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying". I may not understand fully, but I enjoy reading and learning.

Regina said...

Me too Ann! Wishing you a terrific weekend too-
Thanks Sandra..ya, for death to be swallowed up is a powerful thing
Penny, ya, I agree- the process I'm not looking forward to either..and yet interestingly, it seems to be a process of letting go and learning dependence (more so now (lol) then a building up..or like an exchange of life- thanks
Hey I appreciate that and the encouragement Ginny! Will do-
Greetings Amin- thank you and happy you stopped by-
Rainfields..I think your right, and glad you shared your thoughts today:)

Joyful said...

Regina, I agree, as we get older, we seem to be learning a process of letting go. It takes time.

As for the pneumatic compression, they have portable units and ones that are used in hospitals. I am getting the treatments in a salon where the lady has purchased a medical machine which is used in hospitals. This machine was actually featured on the television show, The Drs. and you can see there a full body one, though mostly it is used to help drain arms and legs and remove toxins from the body. Have a look at the video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4yPWDWi7s

Regina said...

Oh great..I sure will have a look- enjoy your day Penny-

WebbieLady said...

This is very educational for me... "the sting of death is sin..." very interesting!

Regina said...

Webbilady- it is nice you stopped by, you must be busy with school I imagine? Well, Oddly I was just discussing this with someone seconds ago..pretty liberating anyway. Thanks and hope you enjoy your day~

Let's be perfectly clear- the war on free speech is spiritual!