Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day Story

A still from a home video of my mother (right) who will be 90 years old in less than two weeks.

When she married my dad in 1943, she was swept away along with the heady scented Mountains of Laurel Canyon, California where she'd grown up. Like a weathervane on a rooftop, or just something strange in the forecast..she took a road that would lead us into a valley. Though she came from another era, it wasn't as if we lived so far away? But like a powerful wind that shifted..it created an invisible barrier- making crossing difficult.
Yet my mom opened the window of memories in the dim light of an ordinary city in San Gabriel. Stories she'd recount became a backdrop.

Like the slides we watched, sitting around the living room floor in front of our old projector. They etched a pathway into my psyche through photographs (My Grandma's Hatbox-earlier post) and post cards. It was in the silver I set (kept away for special occasions), a manger scene, or the same box of decorations I'd reached into year after year.

I remember looking in her eyes as she held an ornament up-  fondly associating it with another time. It was when I'd hear her tell of the chapel my Grandpa built and the Holly and Poinsettia's my Grandparent's cut in the yard together. They'd been close and never said harsh words in front of her or her siblings.
She kept no journals..images were transmitted through characters. They- German's and Swedes..with cigars and smiles shaded under hats. Impressions left on faces..faces she once read. I held onto a vision..and like dreams, they can fade. We will dream again, but we must have a heavenly vision. Just as the prophets of old, who saw the future from the past and foretold-
Like a recipe, we'll construct and shape it to be sure, but this I learned-
 
Thanks for letting me share this with you..
A Happy Mother's Day to all you mum's~

14 comments:

Teté M. Jorge said...

Beautiful history... cheers!

Happy Mother's Day to all of us!
Thank you!

Warm hug, sweet kisses, flowers and peace.
Love.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The stories our parents and grandparents tell us over and over are repeated for a reason. So we can remember and repeat them to future generations, even more important if she didn't keep a journal. Leading you into a path that is a valley, I hope you are not in that valley anymore?

Cloudia said...

wonderful post. mahalo for sharing.


Warm Saturday Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

The Write Girl said...

Thanks for sharing your family history. Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day. Enjoy it!!

rainfield61 said...

Happy mother's day to you, and all mothers.

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Dear Regina, As I get older I understand my mother and what drove her...and your post reiterates my thoughts that as we mature we are not such harsh judges. God bless! :))

eileeninmd said...

Regina, thank you for sharing your lovely Mother's Day story. I wish you a very happy Mother's Day. I also wanted to thank you for the comment on my youtube.

MadSnapper said...

my parents were married Sept 22, 1943, on mothers 18th birthday, she would be 84 this year in Sept. I spent my life listening to my dad's stories, mother rarely talked about her growing up years, she was born here in FL where i live now and left here for Savannah GA the day she married. it was like her life began at 18. strange now that i think about it. love your header

i stora drag said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and all mums!
90 years - that's great!
My mum is 83 now.
Hugs Pia
PS. Nice header picture! :)

doro said...

Happy Mother's Day, my Dear Regina!
Thanks for Your memories! ;*

Regina said...

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day my friend.
Such beautiful family story.
xo

DoanLegacy said...

Wonderful memories! When I was younger, I didn't appreciate the stories repeated all the time, but now I do!

Amazing Gracie said...

My mom went to heaven in 1992 to be with the Lord (and my dad - 1969). I used to have a hard time on Mother's Day, but as my girls have grown older and have children - and grandchildren! - I now celebrate them. They are such good moms and it gives me such joy watching them creating wonderful memories of their own.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful thoughts, perspective and feedback- blessings!!

Let's be perfectly clear- the war on free speech is spiritual!