Saturday, December 11, 2010

Candy Cane

If your not into baking- I do hope you'll enjoy the photos-
An even better idea if you have time-

The close up above of a Tea Plant reminds me of the Christmas candy my mom would buy-
shaped like ribbons..do you remember those?

Here is a recipe for those who enjoy something home made as well as festive.
Trust me, it's delicious and easy!
**
Candy Cane Bread:
This comes out of an old cook book I've worn out-
(Breads)- by Sharon Tyler Herbst
Most of the photos had to wait in my draft so I could really make this first..(last night in fact).
*
Basic sweet yeast dough
Tlb yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter melted
1/2 cup sour cream 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
3 & 1/4- 3 & 3/4 cup flour 
Let your yeast and water stand while you mix sugar, eggs, butter (real), sour cream, vanilla & salt.
 Add 1 & 1/2 to 2 cups flour then mix on med. speed of electric mixer for 2 min.
Knead for about 4-6 min and set it to rise for about 1 & 1/2 hours
*
Candy canes is all I used as I didn't fuss with anything else?
You can turn it into a pretty wreath or C Cane shape~
 Cut the dough, crush them and sprinkle in-be-tween ropes, then braid.
Let it rise for another hour or less then bake at 350 for 25 min.



 This could of turned out more shapely if I didn't double it and made one big cane instead of two loaves..but you get the idea~

12 comments:

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Beautiful photos!

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

You know how much I love the flowers...

DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE said...

Interesting post!

MadSnapper said...

had no idea the tea plant looks like this. it is beautiful and loe the color. never seen the candy can recipe or the wrapped around the loaf. looks prettyand yummy

Dejemonos sorprender said...

Beautiful pictures.. the flowers are great! very sympathetic :)
Greetings..

Leenie said...

Looks yummy! Sounds like a fun recipe.

And I do remember the ribbon Christmas candy, and the round hard candy with the flowers in the middle. Nothing much like that out there now.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I well remember the ribbon candy. Every year when I was a child, a playmate and her family would give us a box, for years and years the same thing, ribbon candy, no surprises there!! They have it in the stores now, it must be making a comeback!! What an unusual idea for bread! Well, I do love peppermint, and I love bread, I bet this would taste like candy!

The Write Girl said...

What a delicious treat...I may just try the recipe if I have time. I'm sure it smells amazing. So festive :)

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Gorgeous flowers, as always Regina...and that candy cane loaf looks delicious. My apologies, I didn't respond to your last two comments on my blog, somehow I missed replying to them. Thank you for reading and commenting. I always enjoy that you have visited.

fond regards,
Eaton

rainfield61 said...

They look yummy as in the pictures, and should be best taken after my hiking trip.

Teté M. Jorge said...

A great post, Regina.

The photos are so beautiful!

There's a nice and confortable atmosphere here.

Thank you for sharing.

Kisses and hugs from Brasil.

i stora drag said...

Hi and thank you being a follower of my blog!
I put myself as a follower here as well. :)
I´ve never seen a bread like this before!
Really nice flower pictures!
Greetings from Pia

Let's be perfectly clear- the war on free speech is spiritual!