Saturday, December 5, 2009

On Authority


Inspiration taken from
The Gospel of Mt., Chap. 12-
Liberation sways
Posing a challenge..
A delicate offering..
Health for the body-
Is
Freedom of mind

Yet indignation rose
Like ripe heads of grain
Whose powers He met
Through fields

They'd pic
ked

Provoked by
An authority
Greater than the temple
Desiring Compassion
Not Sacrifice..
Rulers struck back,
Accusations flew

That He could only
Cast out spirits
&
Heal
By the power of Beelzebul

But kingdoms, Cities
&
Homes divided
Fall
He declared..
&
So like the strongman
In order to plunder..
He must be bound-

Mt. 12:26-29

"If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges. “But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you."

Lord of the Sabbath~

Anyone remember the song by the Eurythmics?
(Sweet dreams are made of this)-
"Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas--
Everybody's looking for something..
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you.."?


Well, I'm going to do what I don't always do (give a little explanation for my poem)- As I mentioned below, though inspiration was taken from the Gospel of Mt., my intention wasn't really to focus on demons per say, rather it was the fact that I've encountered several aspects of human nature, which I felt were addressed here. This might have to do with age and the fact that as you get older you seem to reflect more.
Anyway, I'd been mulling over the side of humanity which falls into the category of either enabling, being non confrontational or bullishly confronting. What I mean is, for example- I used to fall somewhere in the middle due to confusion, because (if you look carefully), this speaks of an authority which centers on some kind of divine rulership. The trouble is most often we're simply under control..(some power) (we may not even call it spiritual) but we don't necessarily understand it..otherwise why do people enable and so forth? Understanding the role of headship gave me freedom but it's the only thing I can think of which stops erosion from that former behavior? I'd like to hear what you have to say?

4 comments:

sojourner said...

What a creative response to this passage! I love the way God's truth inspires art :0)

Kilauea Poetry said...

Hey thanks Yvette! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

JStar said...

I love this concept so much! Very inspiring...

Kilauea Poetry said...

JStar, thanks for dropping by and saying so!

Let's be perfectly clear- the war on free speech is spiritual!