Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Autumn Reflections & The Reality Of Suffering

This isn't really the title but what follows is taken from the writings of Mrs. Charles Cowman's devotionals (Streams in the Desert- early 1920's). (be sure to enlarge for the flower in the raindrop)




Some of you might be familiar with her writing but this one always speaks to me and it falls on my birthday each year.
Over twenty years ago I heard a lady speak of suffering on a radio program driving in my car. After sharing her testimony..she said this in effect "suffering is your friend, you need to embrace it"..I can still remember reaching for the knob.. twisting it, while muttering "Suffering is your friend lady- you embrace it"! At least now, I think I have a better understanding of what it means than I did then? I still have a lot to learn but anyway, this is my offering for Thursday.. slightly condensed-

I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus, my Lord (Phil. 3:8)

This is the happy season of ripening cornfields, of the merry song of the reapers, of the secured and garnered grain. But let me harken to the sermon of the field. This is its solemn word to me. You must die in order to live. You must refuse to consult your own ease and well-being...If you would bear much fruit, you must be buried in darkness and solitude.
My heart fails me as I listen. But, when Jesus asks it, let me tell myself that it is my high dignity to enter into the fellowship of His sufferings; and thus I am in the best of company..Plenty out of pain, life out of death: is it not the law of the Kingdom?- In the hour of silence.
Do we call it dying when the bud bursts into flower?





7 comments:

The Write Girl said...

Beautiful words, stirring with such wisdom. I'm not sure how I missed this post. It puts suffering and sorrow in the greater context of a more promising reward and end. Thank you for sharing this lesson.

Jeannette StG said...

Love the water drops on your flower, as well as your other flower pics in this post!
I don't know if I can welcome suffering is a friend, but the reality is that each one of us gets an amount of it thrown in our lap.
I myself am coming out of a year of overcoming physical problems, and I only can say it's hard work. I cannot even comprehend people who are sick for years, or the rest of their life.

Now, suffering for the cause of Christ, I find a totally different matter. That I understand better, because this is a good cause or reason for suffering.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Hey..thanks for these thought provoking comments..Write girl.."puts suffering and sorrow in the greater context of a more promising reward and end"- wow.

Jeannette, I hear you.. I'm sure it overlaps as both physical limitation (speaking for myself as well) and anything in relation to Christ..as they both prompt a response..ultimately our attitude will show life or it won't- through whatever circumstances we go through?
Thanks so much for putting in your feedback-

Unknown said...

Beautiful words here Gina and i so love the photos too. Thanks for the name of the fern. Have a nice weekend!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Hey..thank you Pacy! Hope you have a wonderful weekend-

Carrie said...

Oh, I love this...it speaks to me in such a profound way.
This last year has been more suffering than I believe I can handle at times, yet the Lord has shown me the it is an honor "to share in His sufferings."
I look at these pictures and think, "This must be what it is like in heaven."
To see every tiny detail and the beauty that we have overlooked, magnified for our delight!
Thank you.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Carrie..I can't tell you how much I appreciate the imput. I mean..sometimes it's difficult on the blogsphere- (it's like revealing a bit of yourself) See, I'd never know! What's that scripture..bearing one anothers burdens..getting off myself anyway..I always need to work on that.
The pictures..ya..me too! You should see me out there in the yard! I hope you and your family have a great evening-

Let's be perfectly clear- the war on free speech is spiritual!